Graham Coxon Guitar Gear


Graham Coxon from blur one of the most underrated guitarist in my opinion. He gave blur their trademark sounds with funky rhythm and licks, and mastered the electronic robot sounds check out "On Your Own" by blur and you'll know what I'm talking about. And who can forget those riffs from Song 2 and Beetlebum.

As for Graham Coxon's guitar gear his main axe is a 1968 Fender Telecaster, thats been through the wars. He also uses a Rickenbacker a Gibson SG. Weirdly in the video below he refers to his SG as a Les Paul. I've call a Les Paul and SG before(Solidbody Guitar) but not the other way around.

Edit 7/7/09
History of the SG by Gibson - I received an email from a fan of the site with correct info about the SG/Les Paul. The early SG's were called Les Paul's, and had the Les Paul logo on the headstock, Gibson later removed and renamed it to SG after the Les Paul himself and the fans of the original Les Paul wanted the original Les Paul back. The Les Paul was un-discontinued and became the Les Paul again, and the new shape "Les Paul" became the Gibson SG. I also found an article about this on ezinarticles.com check it out here.



Heres an excerpt from Fender.com on Graham Coxon talking about his love for the Fender Telecaster:


"FN : How did you discover the Telecaster?
GC : I think it was when I started recording with Stephen Street and really all I had was this Les Paul® Custom. I’m still playing that, but it really wasn’t appropriate for some of the sounds I wanted. In the early days, the sounds of the guitars on Abbey Road were something that I really enjoyed—the fat, bluesy nature of it.Either way, Stephen lent me his Tele. He’s got a lovely old Telecaster, and that was it. As soon as I played that, I couldn’t believe it. It was something about the neck and the slimness of the neck. And what a tough little thing it was, and what a ring-y sound it had—it had the sort of ring I liked with the Jam and the Who. But it also had a really good punch. It was so comfortable; I really couldn’t quite believe it (laughs ). Now I’m just a Telecaster maniac, I suppose …"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Guitarist

(updates 06/09,)
Barney Kessel (1)........ Billy Morrison (1)........ Billy Sheehan (2)......... Brian May (1)............... Bumblefoot (3) ............ David Gilmour (1) ....... Dimarzio (4)................ Dimebag (1)................ Duff Mckagan (1) ........ Eddie Van Halen (1).... Edge (2) ......................... Eric Clapton (2).......
Eric Johnson (1) ........... Gary Moore (4) ......... George Benson (1) ....... George Harrison (1).... George Lynch (3).......... Herman Li (1)............. Jeff Beck (2) ................ Jim Root (1).......... Jimmy Page (2) ........... Joe Perry (1) ..............
Joe Satriani (3)............. John Mayer (2) ......... John Petrucci (3)......... Kirk Hammett (2)..... Mark Knopfler (1) ...... Nuno Bettencourt (1).. Randy Rhoads (1).... Ritchie Blackmore (2) Ronnie Wood (1)........ Slash (5) ................ Steve Vai (8) ..........Stevie Ray Vaughan (2) Tom Hamilton (2).... Tom Morello (1)......
Yngwie Malmsteen (4) Zakk Wylde (2).........